The IEEE Gujarat Section Sensors Council Chapter hosted an all virtual-event “Winter School on Wearable Sensors and Devices” from 6 to 7 February 2021. It was a 2-day event that included 9 expert-led, 60-minute sessions. It was attended by 172 (including speakers) delegates from different academic institutions and industries from 9 countries including the USA, Canada, Scotland, the Netherlands, Iran, Pakistan, Australia, Italy, and India, and 22 states of India. This event has an excellent gender balance in terms of participation with 37% of the participants female and 63% male. Also, 51% of the delegates were students, 40% were faculty and 8% were from industry.
Day 1 (February 6)
- “Discovering Templates of Engineering Design Hidden in Nature’s Transducers” by Rudra Pratap (IISc, Bangalore, India)
- “From sensors to computing, Trends for Wearable and Medical Devices” by Subhas Chandra Mukhopadhyay (Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia)
- “Can Wearables Predict Health Risks Like COVID-19?” by Chandan Sethi (Founder & CEO, innoWear, Hong Kong)
- “A Health Product or a Brilliant Gadget?” by Indira Negi (Vice President, AliveCor, USA)
Day 2 (February 7)
- “Smart Textile” by Behraad Bahreyni (Simon Fraser University, Canada)
- “Wearable Magnetic Skins and Sensors” by Jürgen Kosel (King Abdullah University of Science and Technology, Saudi Arabia)
- “Key Priorities for Powering Wearables” by Rahul Todi (International Product Marketing Manager, Dialog Semiconductors, The Netherlands)
- “Tactile Skin in Robotics and Medical Applications” by Ravinder Dahiya (University of Glasgow, Scotland)
- “Self-Powered Wearable Sensors for Health and Environmental Monitoring” by Veena Misra (North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC, USA)
Rudra Pratap, Subhas Mukhopadhyay, Jürgen Kosel, Ravinder Dahiya, and Veena Misra are Sensors Council Distinguished Lecturers.
For networking and engagement, an online interactive quiz was also organized on the topic of “Wearables and Sensors”.
This news article was prepared by the ExCom of the Sensors Council Chapter of IEEE Gujarat Section for this Newsletter. This event was sponsored by IEEE Sensors Council.